Dear Members of the University Community:
Given the increasing prevalence of the COVID-19 Delta variant, the University requires all members of the campus community to wear masks while indoors, with the exception of individuals who are alone in a room. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines on masks are:
- A properly worn mask completely covers the nose and mouth.
- Cloth masks should be made with two or more layers of a breathable fabric that is tightly woven (i.e., fabrics that do not let light pass through when held up to a light source).
- Mask should be secured to the head with ties, ear loops, or elastic bands that go behind the head. If gaiters are worn, they should have two layers of fabric or be folded to make two layers.
- Mask should fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face and have a nose wire to prevent air from leaking out of the top of the mask.
- Mask should be a solid piece of material without slits, exhalation valves, or punctures.
All members of the University community are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they have received an official University accommodation. Unvaccinated students, faculty, and staff will not be permitted to dine indoors, use indoor athletic facilities, nor take part in indoor entertainment events, even though they have received an accommodation from the University, per the New York City policy requiring proof of vaccination for such venues. The policy, known as Key to NYC, went into effect on August 16.
All faculty, students, and staff are required to be on VitalCheck. Employees must send their proof of vaccination to VitalCheck at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org (student proof of vaccination can be uploaded via the student health portal on the University website). VitalCheck is linked to your Fordham ID card for ease of entry to campus. VitalCheck will also display proof of vaccination on your smartphone and may serve as the campus access card.
VitalCheck confirms the validity of vaccination documents via the state Department of Health database. It is a federal crime to manufacture, sell, or use forged CDC vaccination records.
Asymptomatic, fully vaccinated students and employees will not be required to be tested for COVID-19. Testing is required every week (on the 7th day) for students and employees with a Fordham-approved vaccine exemption. The University has replaced routine PCR tests with rapid antigen tests (backed by PCR tests if necessary).
The University will continue to bar external groups from meeting or renting space on campus, indoor or out, through the fall semester. This prohibition includes filming and photography by outside groups. Campuses will remain closed to non-Fordham individuals for the fall with the following exceptions:
- Fully vaccinated parents may visit campus and indoor spaces on select occasions.
- Fully vaccinated alumni may attend Fordham-sponsored on-campus events indoors.
- Fully vaccinated guest speakers may visit campus and indoor spaces.
- Fully vaccinated guests may attend Mass at the University Church.
- Fully vaccinated guests may attend athletic events indoors.
- Fully vaccinated prospective students and family members may join Admission tours.
- Fully vaccinated contractors and vendors may do business on campus.
Individuals not registered with the University’s VitalCheck system will be required to show proof of vaccination for entry to campus.
Fordham will continue to follow the evolving CDC and New York state public health guidelines, and the University’s requirements and regulations may change in response to public health conditions on campus and in New York.
Thank you, in advance, for your cooperation in keeping the campus community healthy and safe, and allowing the University to offer the full on-campus experience to its students, faculty, and staff.
Marco A. Valera, Vice President for Administration
& COVID-19 Coordinator
This communication takes the place of the regularly scheduled Five Things email. Five Things will resume next week.