Dear Members of the Campus Community:
Fordham University COVID-19 Guidelines on the web: fordham.edu/fordhamforward
Here are the five things you need to know about Fordham’s COVID-19 precautions, vaccinations, and University operations.
- On-Campus Cases: In the last 7 days, 26 members of the University community tested positive for COVID-19, as listed on the University dashboard.
- CDC Study on Vaccine Effectiveness: The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released a study on March 18 showing that, “among adults hospitalized with COVID-19 during the Delta and Omicron waves, those who received two or three doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine had 90–95% less risk of dying or needing a ventilator compared with adults who were not vaccinated. Protection was highest in adults who received a third COVID-19 vaccine dose.”
- COVID-19 Variant Omicron BA.2: A third of U.S. COVID-19 cases are now caused by the Omicron BA.2 variant, which is widespread in the UK and elsewhere. According to Reuters, public health officials have said they don’t believe another surge of infections is coming, but cases in the United States generally lag several weeks behind the UK.
- Fordham Vaccine Mandate: The University will continue to require all on-campus students, faculty, and staff to be fully up-to-date† on vaccinations for the 2022-2023 academic year.
- Wednesday, March 30, is the Deadline for Return to Campus Testing for Students: All students who need to enter campus will be required to submit COVID-19 FDA/EUA-authorized PCR saliva or nasal swab test results no later than March 30 regardless of whether or not they traveled during the break. (Employees who have traveled out of state—aside from routine commuting—at any time are expected to submit COVID-19 PCR test results within 4 days of their return.)
†“Up-to-date” means the individual has received a full series of COVID-19 vaccines, and a booster shot, if eligible.
Every issue of Five Things is archived on our news site: news.fordham.edu/tag/five-
Vice President for Administration & COVID-19 Coordinator