Joseph M. McShane, SJ, president of the University, and several members of Fordham’s faculty will be offering public commentary and analysis in the national media during Pope Francis’ visit to the United States this week.
Father McShane will appear on MSNBC for special coverage on the Pope’s visit with Chris Matthews on Saturday, Sept. 26, from 10:30 a.m. to noon.
Patrick Hornbeck II, PhD, chair and associate professor of theology, will join Al Jazeera America in its coverage of Pope Francis’ visit to the United States starting Tuesday, Sept. 22. Hornbeck will take on the role of a ‘presenter’s friend’ throughout the papal visit.
Maureen Tilley, PhD, professor of theology, will appear on PIX11 on Tuesday, Sept. 22 at 8:15 a.m. to discuss the Pontiff’s visit. She’ll also tape segments for NY1.
Claudio Burgaleta, SJ, associate professor of theology, will be a guest columnist for the New York Post on various aspects of the papal visit. The first column on Pope Francis’ upcoming trip to New York City appeared on Sept. 21. Father Burgaleta will also appear on PIX11 on Friday, Sept. 25, and a pre-taped interview he did with NY1 on Sept. 21 will air repeatedly during the week.
Michael Lee, PhD, associate professor of theology, pre-taped an interview with Al Jazeera America and will conduct an interview with ABC-7-NY later this week.
Michael Peppard, PhD, assistant professor of theology, will appear on the Melissa Harris Perry show on MSNBC on Saturday, Sept. 26.
Additional papal coverage has already been aired and published by faculty and administrators, including:
- Thomas Beaudoin, PhD, associate professor of theology, appeared on a segment for NY1 about Pope Francis striking a chord with younger Catholics.
- Charles Camosy, PhD, associate professor of theology, has been interviewed for various print stories about the Pope’s visit, and how presidential candidates will receive the Pontiff.
- James McCartin, PhD, associate professor of theology, wrote about the United States’ once ‘anti-Catholic’ past for Religion News Service. The piece appeared in a variety of news outlets, such as the Washington Post.
- Rose Perez, PhD, associate professor at the Graduate School of Social Service, appeared on NY1Noticias on Sunday, Sept. 20, to discuss the Pope’s visit to her native Cuba.
- Terrence Tilley, PhD, the Avery Cardinal Dulles, SJ, Professor of Catholic Theology, was interviewed by Fox 5 NY about the Pope’s decision to forgive abortions on Monday, Sept. 21.
Stay tuned for more updates.