Dear Members of the Campus Community:
As we prepare to return to campus for the spring semester, the University is adjusting its protocols in recognition of the current level of COVID-19 infections in New York City and across the country. We are taking the following additional precautions for the spring semester:
- The University is continuously monitoring the rate of new COVID-19 infections in New York City, and adapting its health and safety procedures accordingly.
- The University will perform surveillance testing on campus until the COVID-19 positivity rate routinely falls below an acceptable level (to be determined in coordination with our epidemiologist and public health experts). We will communicate details and timelines in the coming weeks.
- The University is requiring return-to-campus COVID-19 testing up to 72 hours prior to return, and no more than 5 days after.
- All campus fitness centers are closed through January 31, 2022.
- Spectators will not be allowed to attend athletic competitions, and eating and drinking is prohibited at athletic events until further notice.
- The University will continue to prohibit events for non-University groups.
- All indoor events in January at which food or beverages were to be served are cancelled; food and beverages may not be served at meetings in January.
- Eating and drinking is prohibited in all classrooms and instructional spaces (laboratories, libraries, etc…).
- Dining services will modify indoor dining as follows:
- Offer optional grab n’ go meals;
- Allow for limited indoor dining in the main cafeterias at Rose Hill and Lincoln Center with appropriate social distancing and density mitigation initiatives; and
- Prohibit indoor dining in retail spaces that are too small to accommodate social distancing.
- The University will consider expanding the use of other indoor spaces (such as lounge areas) for casual dining.
- Public Safety will supply free, high-performance KN95 masks to any individual who desires a higher level of protection.
- The University requires all students, faculty, and staff to receive COVID-19 booster shots before returning to campus in January, or as soon as medically allowable thereafter. See the policy update here.
- The University is making COVID-19 boosters and return to campus testing available for all eligible students, faculty, and staff. The testing and vaccine schedules are available on the COVID-19 Testing and Vaccine Resources page. (If you received a booster off campus, please upload your vaccination record to VitalCheck before answering the yes/no question on the daily VitalCheck attestation.)
Students, Faculty, and Staff who require COVID-19 testing, influenza (flu) or booster vaccinations prior to the University’s reopening might contact local pharmacies, including Mt. Carmel Pharmacy, at 705 E. 187th Street in the Bronx (718) 364-6100; 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Finally, please wear a mask in all indoor public spaces at all times.
Thank you for your cooperation in protecting the campus community.
Vice President for Administration & COVID-19 Coordinator